Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Quiet shutter-release

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 18-Aug-12 03:35 AM

Just wanted to say, I found Quiet mode on my D4 so useful in theatre tonight that it will be a permanent part of my arsenal. I do need to practice to see if I can change this without moving the camera from my eye, but with Nikon very conveniently placing Continuous High only one click away from Quiet Mode these are the two settings I am most likely to toggle from and to. So works for me. I'm pretty sure other Nikon models have had this for a while such as D3S and D7000, but not my D700.

I have always shot my D700 in theatre with a schizophrenic heavy shutter at times and sometimes very lightly squeezing off of a single shot. I do this to minimize distraction during quiet scenes whereas during loud frenetic (typically big musical number) scenes I can safely bang away if I need to without distracting those around me. But of late, during quiet scenes, I have been more and more hesitant and sometimes not even shooting. With the D4 I can take a nice middle path. Heck I felt like I was shooting a nice public-friendly pea shooter camera, much less distracting! A lot of my theatre photography is during a public performance but yes I do make use of dress rehearsals wherever possible, but many times it is not and they still want me to shoot.

Still getting to know my D4 but am very happy with it. And the images are gorgeous coming out of it. I'm still in the stage of looking carefully at it side by side with my D700 images which I am also shooting. I shoot wide with the D700 and narrow with the D4 but sometimes reverse this role. Here's D4 ISO 7200 and 9000 to give you an idea. My subjects today are younger than usual because this is end of summer camp performances, but I shoot everything on up to adult theatre (which is actually my favourite). This is sharpening face-only and no noise reduction applied and 1st image heavily cropped, second moderately.

Still working things out as I intend to probably do several further things to adjust my technique which is AF fine tune and then open up the aperture a bit more to f3.2 or f3.5 and hike the shutter speed up. 1/320 was good enough on my D700 whereas D4 may need 1/400 and for the real twirling action I might actually need 1/500 with the D4, we'll see.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G