Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4 v D800 at baseball at night each first time

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5758 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 13-Aug-12 12:29 AM | edited Mon 13-Aug-12 12:31 AM by Ferguson

I shot two different night baseball games in my life, four months apart, one with a D800, one with a D4. By sheer coincidence I was about at the same experience point with each (a bit over 3000 images) at the time I did this.

This is a curiosity, I have no real conclusions from it, but for what it is worth I found two shots with similar ISO, lighting, and perspective on the person. I put them side by side. They are both very similar and quite different. The ISO is almost the same, the noise processing in lightroom is almost the same as well (one I had done 66, one 67, picked entirely independently, I did not go back and try to make the images match, these are how I "developed" them 4 months apart. i also happened to be sitting in virtually the same seat each time, so same angle on the batter.

These are 1:1 images of each. It may be obvious already which is which, but will reveal which is which below if you want to guess.

Using the D800 I switched to the 70-200 as it got dark, trying to stay under 3200. With the D4 I show all night with the 200-400, so in this case by sheer coincidence the 1:1 gives about the same size of the batter at the same pixel density, but it also means the D800 was more of a crop for the same view on the face. D800 was thus at F2.8 and shutter was faster.

The D4 is on the left, the D800 is on the right. I found it interesting the (virtually) same noise reduction looked quite different.

In the more practical standpoint, I had a LOT more success at capturing the peak of the action. I didn't find any real difference in focus accuracy (speed maybe, not sure, too long apart in time).

If anyone is interested in the set of each:

D4: http://www.captivephotons.com/Events/MiracleVStLucie

D800: http://www.captivephotons.com/Events/MiraclevStoneCrabs

By the way, this is not a "which do I want" discussion, I have both and want both, and both have clear areas where they excel over the other, but it's hard not to do some comparisons. So FWIW.

PS. I do this for fun, not because I'm a sports photographer, these are not meant to be quality but first attempts. Well, and second.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 v D800 at baseball at night each first time