Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What size CF card to get?

Arthur Laurent

Leesburg, US
532 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Arthur Laurent Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2006
Thu 02-Aug-12 06:13 AM

I'm using my CF card as my D4 primary, (Big NEFs, Fine JPEG) and the XFD for secondary med JPEG backups.

I'm trying to figure my optimal sized CF card (both in terms of how many images I can "afford" to lose, and the incremental cost of the card.

The D4 manual says each uncompressed 14-bit FX-sized NEF image is 34.3 MB. So, 872 of these images will fit on a 32 GB card, 436 on a 16-GB card and so on.

JPEG Fine Large images are each 7.9 MB; 612 for on a 32 GB card, 306 on a 16 GB card, and so on.

So each NEF is approximately the same size as 4 JPEGs. Plug that into a formula. I want to find the optimum mnix of NEF and JPEG images to write onto my main card, for 8, 16, 32, and 64 GB cards, and I found...

Crank all the above into a spreadsheet (Start with all NEF images, and zero JPEGs. For every 4 JPEG images you add, subtract one NEF. (I love Excel!)

On an 8GB card, I can put 175 NEF images, AND 172 JPEGs (plus a little left over...(It comes to 7.3613 GB. I'm not sure how much data a formatted 8 GB CF card holds.)

That, to me, seems to be a pretty good balance of the number of images versus cost of a card versus number of images I can "afford" to lose.

I'd love to hear other's opinions. What do you think is the "best" sized CF card, and why?

Arthur

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What size CF card to get?

G