Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focusing and Composing

Amo

Bermuda Run, US
60 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Amo Registered since 07th Apr 2009
Wed 11-Jul-12 01:08 AM

I have a very elementary question that one would think only a beginner would ask, but I have read and reread my D3s manual without a clear understanding of this issue. My wife and I both shoot the D3s, and we use the back button (AF-ON) for focusing. We have used back button focusing on every camera we have ever owned where it was possible. We use continuous servo, single point auto focus. As most are aware, when shooting an event, things happen rapidly. We customarily focus on the element that we wish to be in focus, and then we recompose if necessary prior to pressing the shutter. We thought we were happy with our results, but we have been advised by a so-called expert holding a seminar that we cannot focus and recompose this way as the focus will drift during the recomposition. He emphatically states that we must move the focus point around with the multi-selector to the element that we wish to have in focus which is generally a bit time consuming. Could anyone give me some advice on this? I thought our shots were quite sharp, but.......

----------------------------------
It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.

~Herman Melville

Regards,

Dennis

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Focusing and Composing

G