Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sigma 50mm not autofocusing in Live-View on D4

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 28-Apr-12 01:22 AM

On Saturday during the drive out to Sunday's Sharp-tailed Grouse Lek I was learning video and getting myself ready. I had two unexpected developments that had me pretty worried for a bit:

- I couldn't get AF in Live-View on my D4. However, I got lucky (after much consternation) in deciding to try another lens, my 24-70, and sure enough AF worked right away. If anyone else has a Sigma 50mm maybe they could give it a try on either their D4 or D800? I was using AF-S (haven't tried AF-F yet). The Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens focuses just fine in normal PDAF on the D4.

- The other odd thing, that thankfully I stumbled onto a table in the D4 manual, was that I could not set movie shutter speed while in Shutter priority! This was very confounding to me and seems very counterintuitive, maybe someone can explain the rationale here. Me being the video expert that I am, all I know is that to set a shutter speed of 1/60 is quite desirable. Thankfully that same table in the manual told me I could use Manual exposure and I did so.

- On the plus side, video control is great, including a histogram, so setting a manual exposure for video is fantastic. And I found AF-S very responsive while filming. I mentioned in another post the 2.7 crop video seems very sharp. Certainly for Birding and on my 500mm, 2.7 crop mode is great!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

G