Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Possible early failure with D4. Unless...

PeterBeckett

Lincoln, US
835 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PeterBeckett Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010
Mon 16-Apr-12 11:27 PM | edited Mon 16-Apr-12 11:29 PM by PeterBeckett

On Easter Sunday, I used my D4 with a well proven Pearstone radio-based remote release. Everything worked out perfectly. A couple of days later - same thing, no problems whatsoever!

Last night, absolutely nothing worked with either the Pearstone or any of my other remote triggers, wired or wireless. I happened to be trying to use the remote to start/stop video recording (which I had done many times without a problem). My first reaction was to go through all the menus to see if there seemed to be a way to completely disable use of a remote release for both stills and video. I couldn't find anything.

ALL the remote releases that fail to work with the D4 now, work properly with my D800.

So... Unless someone can point me to a way to disable D4 remote releases by menu selection(s), it would appear that the camera's remote interface (part of the connections that use the 10-pin connector) has "blown". The D4 operates absolutely perfectly using on-camera controls.

I used the same remote controls with a D3 and D3X without problems although it has only been with the D4 and D800 that I can use them for video start/stop.

BTW, I was/am an electronics engineer. I am familiar with potential problems with "static" when connecting two devices - and take reasonable precautions to avoid such possibilities.

From what I see, I'm probably going to have to send the D4 in for repair!

BTW, I did try using the "set everything back to defaults" option, but to no avail.

Comments anyone?

Pete

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Possible early failure with D4. Unless...

G