Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D4: AF-area mode selector switch gone - how to set to "auto area"?

pboehi

Altstaetten, CH
41 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pboehi Registered since 04th Jul 2009
Fri 06-Apr-12 02:12 PM

On the Nikon D4, they took away from us the AF-area mode selector on the back (to select single-point AF, dynamic area-AF and auto-area AF) and the switch to select M, AF-S and AF-C focussing on the front. Now we need two hands and/or a trip to the menus, to switch those settings, which to me is clearly a step backwards.

What I couldn't figure out despite a trip to the fine manual: How do you set "auto-area" focussing on the D4?

So far you are supposed to move single focus points around, both in AF-S and AF-C modes, while in one mode (S) the focus is set, in the other (C) the focus point moves dynamically with your subject, which bascially is fine with me. But where the heck is the "auto-area" mode that frees you from the need to choose your focus point?

Any help is welcome

Visit my Flickr gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D4: AF-area mode selector switch gone - how t...

G