Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How many pixels do you really need?

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Mon 12-Mar-12 01:36 PM

If you don't print huge prints, If you don't shoot above ISO 1600, if you don't severely crop your photos, not many.

Every once and awhile I bring out my older cameras. In this case the 2.7mp D1H. Just to see how it's holding up.

The top photo is with the D1H, AF 85mm f1.4D at f1.4 and ISO 1600.

Click on image to view larger version

The second photo was taken with the 24.5mp D3X with the same lens at f1.4 and also at ISO 1600. Neither photo is cropped but because the D1H was taken at a further distance the dof is greater

Click on image to view larger version

I needed to use the high ISO and wide open lens as the only light in the room was from a triple North facing window in the early morning.

Len

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 ( file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How many pixels do you really need?

G