Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Questions for D3X Owners

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Wed 07-Mar-12 02:24 PM

I now shoot with a D200 and have ordered a D800. Although I am excited about upgrading my camera I do not expect the photos made with it to necessarily produce better prints than I am now able to make using my D200. It will be helpful if those of you who have experience shooting with a D3X to share your experience with regard to the following:

1. Do you find that shooting hand held shots with the D3X is a lot harder than shooting with a camera with fewer pixels? Do you have to shoot at a higher shutter speed to avoid camera shake?

2. Do you find that you are able to produce better quality prints due to having substanially more pixels than other cameras? For example, I understand that if one prints at 360 dpi (as I generally do) the "native" size of a D3X Raw print is roughly 11"x17". The native size of a print from a D200 is roughly 7"x10.75" (again, at 360 dpi). So if you made two 7"x10" prints, one with your D3X and one with a D200 or similar camera would the higher resolution of the D3X produce a higher quality image? I realize that this a bit of an academic question since other qualities of the camera would influence the quality of the prints. However, I am just trying to get some idea about whether the higher resolution camera does help one obtain a higher quality print. I would like to thinnk it does; however, it seems that in the printing process one selects 360 dpi (or whatever number one uses for printing), thereby discarding the rest of the pixels (if one is printing at less than the native size of the print for that camera. Then, taking into account the possiblity of added camera shake (as addressed in 1. above) does one actually end up with a print that is of worse quality than a print produced by a lesser pixel camera?

I will appreciate any input you are able to offer.

JDT

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Questions for D3X Owners