Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why I'm keeping my D1 series bodies forever

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Sun 26-Sep-10 06:51 PM | edited Sun 26-Sep-10 07:00 PM by ZoneV

1. Smaller raw files:
16-24MP raw files aren't needed for everything requiring raw, and Nikon doesn't offer M-Raw or S-Raw (other than DX crop). Processing power and storage limitations aren't always defeatable.

2. Fast AF:
The D1-series have the fastest AF with screw-driven lenses, equal only to the F5. They're faster than the newer D2 and D3 series. My first-generation 80-200mm Nikkor is actually somewhat useable for D1 men's hockey attached to a D1 series. I saw a video on youtube showing how slow this lens is on some other cameras like the D300, and I couldn't believe it.

3. Already paid for:
The camera bodies are already paid for, and have long depreciated.

4. Value:
Similar to the above. Not buying a newer pro body (D3) for a while yet means saving more money. And not currently being a pro photographer, I am under no immediate pressure to do so anytime soon. And the mechanics are 95% of the newer pro bodies. It's mostly the sensor format, image quality, battery technology, LCD screen, live view, video, and some other features like flash that have evolved over the years. The camera body and mechanics are still pretty much the same.

5. Flash sync:
The D1 series will sync up to 1/500th sec with Nikon Speedlights, or 1/1000th sec with nondedicated flash units, due to the CCD used. I use this all the time. Even well-respected pro Rick Rickman still uses his D1x for shooting with strobes.

6. Durability:
These bodies are going to last a long time. I might as well get my money's worth. And there's less to worry about when taking them into water, dust, or other conditions versus a brand new camera that you just spent a lot of money on and don't want to ruin.

7. They're classics:
Lucky #7. Yup, they're classics already, Enough said.

8. The D1x is unbeatable at ISO 125 in good light:
Especially for portrait. It must be something about the CCD. The same was said of the D200 at ISO 100. Apparently the D2x, even though it's CMOS, is similar at ISO 100, too. Those who know what I'm talking about understand.

I'm actually selling (rather sold) the D90, so the D1's are going to continue to be my main DSLRs. I also shoot a fair bit on film, so I don't rely quite so heavily on DSLRs as my only option. That's why the DX format doesn't bother me. I'll probably pick up a used D200 to supplement them with when prices drop further. That way, I can get my money's worth out of the SB-600 I recently bought. I love using the D1 series. Is there a t-shirt?

Nikon user since 2000

G