Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wierd D3s bug, please help to verify this.

xtrememac

Andover, US
278 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
xtrememac Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2006
Mon 23-Aug-10 09:20 AM

OK, I have a strange bug that had me chasing my tail all evening here. I would appreciate some independent verification, if any of you other D3s owners are so inclined. You must have a Mac to see this problem.

I had shot a number of movies this afternoon, and was anxious to see the quality, and hear it as I was using a mixer and some expensive mikes. The movies played back fine in the camera, so I had no reason to suspect a problem.

I got home, and dumped CF card from Slot 2 (I had just learned you could set all movies to go to slot 2 for segregation) I had into the Mac Pro. I went to open a file and it said it could not open the file, OSSStatus Error -50. I tried another and another, same issue...then I also noticed the file icons were not displaying thumbnails of the movie...hmmmm. I opened a folder of D3s movies I did 2 days ago, all had thumbnails and played fine...too wierd.

I then opened Parallels on the Mac, giving me a windows XP environment, and the new movies played fine. I then took one of the offending movies and encoded it as MOV and also as h264, both of those now played fine on the Mac, so I have a workaround there.

OK, I then goofed around trying different things until I hit on the bug, which I would like any D3s/Mac user to verify. When you record movies onto the SLOT 1 CF card, it plays fine, no issue...HOWEVER...when you go into the D3s and set the following:

SHOOTING MENU:Movie Settings:Destination:Slot 2

The resulting AVI files off the slot 2 card are unreadable by Quicktime on the Mac...since Quicktime is in the Mac OS, that means all programs that use Quicktime, like Aperture 3, iPhoto, the players, etc. report these fiels as an UNSUPPORTED VIDEO FORMAT.

Now as I said, I can easily encode these files to something supported, so I did not lose my work to this...BUT...since the movie files coming off the D3s SLOT 1 are fine, this is definitely a bug I want to tell Nikon about.

A quick test by others here would be verification, as I only have one D3s here, and it might be this body, but I doubt it.

So in review, Obviously, there has to be 2 cards in the camera....then

1) Set SHOOTING MENU:Movie Settings:Destination:Slot 2
2) Shoot a movie at 720P (I did not test other resolutions, so make sure it is on 720P)
3) Take the card from slot 2 and see if your Mac (running latest 10.6.4) reports this as unreadable.
4) If you like switch the SHOOTING MENU:Movie Settings:Destination:Slot 1 and shoot another movie, and see that that one works fine.

Thanks for your help verifying this.

Sincerely,

K. J. Doyle

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: This may be the solution you need
Reply message RE: This may be the solution you need
Reply message RE: Wierd D3s bug, please help to verify this.

G