Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First outing with new D3s.....WOW

Z06_Pilot

Columbus, US
70 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Z06_Pilot Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Dec 2008
Mon 09-Aug-10 05:42 PM

hi folks,

Had a D3 for 2 years, and just upgraded to the D3s. first outing was the combined ALMS/IndyCar race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

WOW is all I can say. a couple of things really stood out:

1. low light. I started shooting in the morning in a position where the cars were coming through the shadows into the sunlight. I was handholding my Sigma 150-500 with imgage stabilization, full on at 500mm. In my experience, this lens is sharpest in the f9-f11 range at full tilt, so I was running high ISO (12800 in some cases) in order to get the fast shutter speeds I needed(alternated between 1/600 and 1/800). the results were just stunning(in my amateur opinion). what this camera does at high ISO's with low noise, allowing me to work long range with slow glass and high shutter speeds, is just incredible. This feature is more than worth the $$$ to upgrade to this body, IMO.

2. auto focus. I have not heard/read a lot about the focusing system being improved on the D3s. But, I shot this race last year with my D3 and the same glass. operating in AF-C, dynamic-area 9 point, both times, my images with the D3s were tack sharp virtually every time. I was required to do very rapid left/right panning as the cars were hurtling by, and my percentages of sharply focused images with the D3s was triple compared to my D3 last year. I suppose other factors could have played into this, but I was really taken aback.

Oh, and the 36 exposure buffer also came in VERY handy.

Well done, Nikon!

d810, d750

G