Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which shutter speed is hardest on camera mechanics?

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Tue 15-Jun-10 09:44 PM | edited Tue 15-Jun-10 09:45 PM by ZoneV

Is a shutter speed of 30 seconds or a shutter speed of 1/8000th second harder on the camera (ie which one causes the mechanism to wear faster)?

I ask because on my D1s, if I don't use the EN-4 NiMh batteries at least every couple of weeks, I have to insert them into a camera, partially run them down, and then recharge them. If it's been a while, I actually do a complete run down before refreshing the battery. This is something that D2/D3 users don't have to worry about. But With NiMh, you have to do it.

So in addition to using the LCD screen and the DOF preview, I've been setting the camera to 30 seconds to try to run down the battery. I'm wondering if this is hard on the shutter/mirror mechanism. Hopefully not.

Thanks.

Nikon user since 2000

G