Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

your experiences with video modes of the D3S

ryofu

DE
232 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ryofu Registered since 19th Mar 2006
Thu 22-Apr-10 05:13 AM

I have borrowed the D3S in order to try out its video-capabilities. I have studied the user’s manualand did test-shootings, but for the world of it, I cannot figure out the pro's and con's of the two different modes: tripod mode and hand-held mode.
What I mean is, if I need auto-focus during the shot, and I hand-hold, would I be best off with Tripod mode, which also records movies at the selected aperture, which seems like a plus, too. So, now I am lost here: where is the advantage of hand-held mode? And: can I use tripod mode even in hand-held mode? My tests showed that I obviously can, but am I missing here something???

"User's Manual, page 66, Recording Movies: Live View Mode: Tripod: in Modes A and M, movies are recorded at the selected aperture. Hand-held: the camera automatically adjusts aperture in response to changing subject brightness.
Page 67: Focus:… in hand-held mode, auto-focus is not available after recording begins."

Would love to hear feedback from you folks, as I have the camera only for a few days, during which I want to push it to its limits
Ryofu

Ryofu Pussel
http://www.pussel-photo.com

G