Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help needed diagnosing AF problem - D1H, 80-200/2.8 ED

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Sat 20-Feb-10 04:28 AM | edited Sat 20-Feb-10 11:35 PM by ZoneV

I'm having issues with dynamic AF tracking with the D1H and my original 80-200/2.8 ED. I've been shooting college hockey lately. After 2 games, I'm starting to wonder if there is not an AF problem with my D1H. It was set to dynamic AF in AF-C mode using release priority; closest subject priority was disabled. I thought I was doing a decent job of keeping the center AF sensor on the subject.

I started suspecting issues about a year and a half ago when I was shooting other indoor sports, and tonight it got to the point where the majority of my photos were severely out of focus and unusable. And hardly any were critically sharp. The previous game, I had a few that were close to critically sharp, but I also took a lot more that game.

There was plenty of light; exposure was right around 1/2000th sec at f/2.8 and ISO 1600.

I really need to figure out what is going on. It's either me or the camera causing the out of focus pictures. And I'm not sure which it is. If it's my technique, it should be easy to solve. But it could be the camera as well. This has happened with several lenses, and I believe it has also happened in single-point AF in the past as well. It occurs indoors.

I should have tried the 80-200mm on the D1x tonight. However, I didn't think of it until I saw how many frames were OOF after the game. But I had the 28-70mm on the D1x and had no issues with focus (same AF settings). This is getting frustrating now. Almost all the frames I took tonight were mis-focused, many severely.

I need help diagnosing the problem. If anyone has suggestions for how to determine if this is a camera issue or a user issue, and how to troubleshoot it, I would appreciate it. Is there anything I can do to check the AF system?

It's either user issues or it's the camera that is not focusing properly. There's no way this type of result can be normal for a professional camera like the D1H. The camera may be old, but it had the best AF on the planet when it came out, and it was designed with sports in mind. It's still well-regarded. I'm starting to understand why users of the Canon EOS 1D Mark III who had focusing issues found it so frustrating.

Really, I am hoping that it's user error, because that can be corrected easily. But now I'm starting to wonder if it's not something with the camera. This is agravating. I'm starting to doubt my shooting technique, because this was only my second hockey game this season. Yet, I also don't see how my technique (which I was careful about) could be so poor as to have entirely caused this result. I mean if you have everything set properly, aim the camera correctely keeping the AF sensors on teh subject, pan correclty, and keep the shutter release partially dpressed, the camera should track and deleiver mostly in-focus frames, right? About 10% of my frames from tonight were in proper focus, and they were mostly slow-moving moments. I really don't see how I can improve my technique to fix this. I've been doing photography for 13 years now and have been using AF since 2000. I've had the D1H since 2005, but haven't shot much indoor sports until the last year or two.

The focus consistently seems to be behind the subject.

The camera (including with the 80-200 ED) seems to focus just fine on still or slow-moving objects.

Nikon user since 2000

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help needed diagnosing AF problem - D1H, 80-200/2.8...

G