Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Unique Nikon D3 Repair Issue

zuman

US
154 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zuman Registered since 04th Jan 2006
Fri 06-Nov-09 09:15 PM

My D3 was heavily damaged in Namibia this summer and needed a couple of new LCDs and a memory board. The repair, by Nikon, was a bargain, and my camera works like new. However, after my first transfer of a few test shots I noticed that the camera was reporting another photographer's copyright notice embedded in the shots! I investigated further, and discovered that the other photographer's custom settings were also saved in my camera!
I did a web search and found the other photographer. I emailed him, and he replied that he had sent his D3 to Nikon for a buffer upgrade a few weeks before mine went in. I suspect that somehow his old memory board found its way into my camera.
I notified Nikon and they were horrified. The offered to send me an RMA and they'd re-repair the camera immediately. So here's my question: my D3 works fine; should I go through the hassle of sending it in again (and being without the camera for several weeks)? Also, after viewing the online report of a brave soul who replaced the shutter on his D2h, I'm nervous about having my D3 opened up too many times, even by professionals.
Would you leave well-enough alone, or return it to Nikon?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Unique Nikon D3 Repair Issue
     Reply message RE: Unique Nikon D3 Repair Issue/opertunity

G