Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D1x users: Raw or jpeg fine?

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Fri 23-Oct-09 07:33 PM

I find the D1x raw files have noise above about ISO 250 if the lighting is even somewhat shadowy. And it gets progressively more intense with each 1/3 stop higher ISO. By ISO 800, the image has lost its sharpness and looks somwhat mushy. The D1H does not exhibit this softness until you go to the Hi settings of 3200 and above.

Now, I'm a strictly raw shooter, because I believe in having the absolute best image quality.

But recently I tried the camera out in jpeg fine, medium resolution mode (2,000 x 1,312 res.). I was shooting an event at night without flash at ISO 800 under stadium lights. And low and behold, the images at ISO 800 in jpeg are spectacular. They seem every bit as good as those from the D1H. I haven't tried the large jpeg fine yet, so I don't know if there's a difference between large and medium in terms of image quality/noise levels.

Like I said, I'm a raw shooter, and will only shoot jpeg when I'm doing freelance jobs that require uploads to a website. For my own photography, I prefer raw. But I'll be damned if I could produce quality as good as the in-camera jpeg processing. I don't think I can. Raw format is noisier and that's a fact.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Which image format do you prefer?

Nikon user since 2000

G