Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wide Angle Lens advise and Suggestions received with th

toronto

Toronto, CA
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
toronto Registered since 24th Apr 2003
Sat 03-May-03 05:54 AM

Greetings Nikonians!

Just wanted to say that I was SHOCKED (in a good way) with the responses and wonderful advise I received from many here regarding wide angle lens for my Nikon D100. Much appreciated and thank you!

Now I have more questions .

I have a Nikon ED AF-S 24-85 mm lens. It also says on it 1:3.5 - 4.5G.

Can anyone please educate me on the acronym designations, that is ED, G, AF (I guess Auto Focus) etc. Also how much is this lens worth? I just want to analyze if I got "royally ripped off"... "ripped off"... or paid a "reasonable price".

Also I checked the prices of other wide angle lens and I'll take your advise and suggestions and invest little more money. After all I spent a good amount on the D100 so why not have the best!

Ok... I was also looking at zoom lenses... . I came across several makes of 70-300mm ranging widely in prices with all these fancy AF's, ED's G's etc.

I came across several:

1) Nikon 70-300mm F/4-5.6D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor (MSRP $465)
2) Nikon 70-300mm F/4-5.6G AF (No ED fancy whatever it is) (SP $280)
3) Nikon AF 300mm F4 ED-IF D (SP $1000)
4) Tamron 75-300mm F4.0/5.6 LD (No ED stuff, but whats LD?) (SP $160)
5) Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 DL Macro Super - Nikon Mount(SP $172.85)
6) Phoenix AF 70-300mm f:4.5-6.7 (MSRP $150 and looks ugly)

7) Nikon Telephoto 300mm f/2.8 D ED-IF AF-S ($4780 OH MY !!!!)
(Now why the heck is this so expensive? compared to other 300mm telephoto?)

Ok... once again... please enlighten me with your wisdom! And will all these lens work on a D100 ?) Also really curious to know why the wide angle lenses are so much more expensive than the telephoto-zoom lenses?

Now about Wide Angle Lens... ok... really really wide angle -- Fish Eye probably the best. Here are some Fish Eye's and other wide angle prices:

1) Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX Diagonal Fish-Eye - Nikon Mount (SP $400)
2) Sigma 8mm F4 EX Circular Fish-Eye - Nikon Mount (SP $750 - OUCH!)
3) Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S - (SP $1500 - Almost another D100)
4) Phoenix (???) 19-35mm Wide Angle Lens - Nikon Mount (SP $150)

Best Regards,
Toronto,
(New-bee Nikonian & convert and will always remain an amateur photographer and enthusist).

PS: I've used PENTAX SLR for almost 20 years and not being able to wait for the Pentax Digital SLR, I bought the D100 and am LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT -- Though I will buy a Pentax Digital SLR for sure when one is available .

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Wide Angle Lens advise and Suggestions received wit
Reply message VR
Reply message Additional answers...
Reply message RE: Additional answers...

G