Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

OK guys, help me sell this D100 to my boss

flashdeadline

Havelock, US
4110 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002
Wed 12-Jun-02 02:59 PM

I've scoured the web, and the Nikonians (as usual) have a firm grip on the the D100 unveiling. I've been setting up the pieces to pitch the D100 as the ideal platform for our small weekly. A great amount of detail (was referenced by a fellow Nikonian --Thanks Pic) is:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ND100/D10A.HTM
I was also greatly impressed with: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond100/

So, I think I pretty much got the teckie stuff, To give you an idea of how devious I am in the prep phase, I spent my own hard earned bucks to buy an N80. My reasoning was that familiarity with the N80 would bring me that much closer to operting the D100. I've used digitals before, and our office has a Coolpix, so I'm not a rank virgin in that department (just naive). We've got all the Nikkor lenses we need (when I say we-- there are two shooters in this outfit--me and the sports guy). Benefits, cost-wise, over film in terms of budget in just one year are evident. So, Most of the sales pitch is together, but I still have a nagging suspicion I'm missing something-- and I just know you guys have been doing much the same mental gymnastics in on way or another. If you can share some of your best selling points (whether it's to a publisher or to a wife -- read cheap) please feel free to lay some on me.
OK-- the sell questions-- I'm thinking I can pitch this as buy two bodies, with certain accessories, no lenses, for less than $3,500 each-- am I daft?):

We use Macs-- anybody got a grip on download compatability (I noticed no firewire)? The disc set that comes with this baby, will it be Mac-compatible? The image-resource.com reviewer mentioned he connected to a Powermac G4, but I couldn't find reference to what software he used. I know our Coolpix came with both PC and Mac installable software. As I write, I can see the Nikon View Browser on my desktop-- wouldn't that be a KILLER selling point if I could say all we have to do is plug this bad boy in and the software is already installed?

Batteries--- Anybody care to recommend I push in either the spare battery EN-EL3 lithium-ion route, or do I chase for the MB-D100 multi-function battery pack -- ?

Memory chips-- I'm out of my league big time on this. My read tells me I'll get the basic equivalanet of a 36 exp roll with one 128MB card. Should I be running around with three or four of these, or should I be trying to get a 1GB -- cost/benefit ratio?--
bear in mind there are two of us shooters.
I'm flexible enough to shoot 36 exposures and get to a download probably 3/4ths of the time. Especially considering that I may shoot a dozen frames on one grip and grin-- delete the blinking eye versions right there in the camera, and still have room for more shooting. The Sports guy often has to drive long distance (away from download capability--and don't even think of advising we buy him a notebook!-- I want thje two D100's with required accessories before I will entertain that notion)--On an average baseball or softball game he'll burn three or four rolls of 36 for one decent shot.

So, what am I blowing here? I've been researching for 6 months and I just want to make sure I've got all my ducks in a row.
BTW-- since April, much of the research has been greatly enhanced by way of the awesome Nikonian community.

---Tom
Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it.

---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: OK guys, help me sell this D100 to my boss

G