Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sorting out all the Info, MP versus Sensor Technology

MrsNikon

US
490 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MrsNikon Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2009
Fri 27-Mar-09 04:59 PM | edited Fri 27-Mar-09 04:59 PM by MrsNikon

OK, here I am, back again turning to the digital guru forum members. I've had the D3 sitting in the B&H cart now for about a week, yet I cannot pull the trigger. I seem to go back and read over & over all the specifications of many of the cameras out there. Tell me if I am on the right path or if I am off in the woods somewhere with no hope of being found.

I look at the specifications of a camera like the Canon EOS 5D Mark II coming in at something like 21 megapixel with a price around the $2600 mark. Move over to the D3 with less MP's on board and a price in the $4500 range. Something doesn't add up? Is the horsepower/cost of the D3 in the sensor technology that is yielding phenomonemal results at these super high ISO's? Where are my dollars going?

Keep in mind, I have no D-SLR ownership experience. Only going by the vast amount of reading I am doing to "catch up" on almost 10 years sitting in the dark as the technology has been passing me by.

For me, I want fast focusing and after looking at the gallery images of members, the D3/D700 family is churning out some spectacular images in low light .... oh boy isn't that exciting! I am not the type of photographer who is going to be concerned about 40x50 posters on my wall however is 12 mp enough? I'm just curious why didn't Nikon didn't beef up the mega-piexel *and* provide great sensor technology.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sorting out all the Info, MP versus Sensor Technolo...
Reply message RE: To clarify

G