Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D1 series: formatting CF card - confused with formatting/deleting

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Fri 13-Feb-09 04:27 AM | edited Fri 13-Feb-09 04:29 AM by ZoneV

I'm confused about formatting the CF card. When I want to format the CF card, I hit the two buttons with red format icons simultaneously, and hold them down until "for" flashes on the camera's top info panel.

People have looked at me like I was crazed when I did this while there were important images on the card. I thought nothing of it, since I knew from past expeince that doing this doesn't cause all the images to be erased.

But now I'm starting to think about this more. Isn't formatting supposed to in fact erase the card? My cards have never been erased by following this formatting procedure. In fact I erase my cards by choosing delete all in the menu and hitting ok.

Are there several format options--one that just formats the card and doesn't overwrite data (holding in those two red buttons on the top), and another format command, somewhere in the shooting menu, that wipes the card clean?

I've just taken it for granted that formatting doesn't wipe the card. But now I hear I'm wrong or something...or my camera is different than most.

Nikon user since 2000

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D1 series: formatting CF card - confused with forma...

G