Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help!!!! Unidentifyable Accessory

gremeis

US
21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gremeis Registered since 08th Feb 2009
Sun 08-Feb-09 09:30 PM | edited Sun 08-Feb-09 10:01 PM by gremeis

Dear new friends,
I bought a used Nikon d2x that has a unmarked accessory semi-permanently attatched to the left siide of the camera. Could anyone tell me what it is and the manufacturer or even where to look next. The unit is black, 2x3x4 inches witn a heavy u-shaped bracet that goes under the camerra with an opening to access the battery and a hole for the tripod mount. It has a 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch lcd on the back of it that reads sequeentially, on startup,VER 1.0 RELEASE, CAMERA SERIAL # XXXX, PHOTOGRAPHERR I.D. XXXX, SCANNING MODE: SEGMENT, and finally SCAN BARCODE. There is a barcode scanner window on the bottom of the unit and it will scan a barcode and place the number in the lcd window underr the words SCAN BARCODE. It has a 3/8 inch green button on the back of it that when pressed erases the barcode number, and it may have other functions unknown to me. It has three electic sockets one on the bottom and one on the right side that are 3/16- 1/4 inch diameter with 5 pin receptacles and one larger 5/16 inch socket with 14 pin receptacles. It has an on / off toggle swith oon the front of it. The unit covers the USB connector, the AC connector,the flash sync and remote connector, the mode dial on top,the focus mode selector, you get the idea, pretty much everrything on the left side of the camera. The lense release is reachable only with your little finger. oOn the camera monitor only one menu is available when pressing MENU and it has the wrench ikon and is titled SENIOR FLEXIBLE. Tselections on thatt sole menu are FORMAT ADVANCED WORLD TIME FIRMWARE VERSION, LCD BRIGTNESS DUST OFF REF PHOTO. THE FIRMWARE VER ARE A 7.20 AND B 7.22. I forgot, the bracket that goes around the bottom of the camera also coverrs the rear control panel and all 3 buttons and mic. The focussing options seem to be fixed but the camera does focus, and the flash indicator is always on.. It has a strap attatch point on the top. In addition to there being only one menu, many of the options and controls seem to be fixed on one setup. I think that pretty well describes the unit although a picture which I don't have at the moment would probably help, sorry. I have talked to two techs at Nikon, called numerrous shops and commercial lighting sellers, taken the camera to Wolf and Ritz, nobody has a clue. It must be a major modification ffor some specific use like High School graduation pictures or assembly line photos, I don't know. Also I forgot, the GPS indicator on the camera blinks when the unit is powered on. I am lost/ When I bought the camera the fellow told me the unit was some knid of Norman flash control, but I called them and they did not recognize the unit as theirs. I know this is a long post and thanks for reading it, any help would be greatly appreciated. Leave it to me to buy such a problem, without a solution to be found anywhere on the web or databases or anywhere. I hope someone out there can help.
Thanks again....Gregory....

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help!!!! Unidentifyable Accessory