Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

CF configuration-looking for opinions

Z06_Pilot

Columbus, US
70 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Z06_Pilot Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Dec 2008
Thu 25-Dec-08 11:09 PM

hi folks,

2 questions:

1. when the CF slots are set up for mirroring, does the camera do an actual write to each slot with the same information, or does it write to one slot which then copies it over to the other? I think it's the first since it does happen pretty fast I have noticed.

2 wondering how folks have their CF write options configured? I know Thom Hogan recommends overflow mode. working in the IT disaster recovery industry, I am intrigued with the mirroring option to ensure I have two copies of everything I shoot.

However, I will be going on a once in a lifetime vacation for two weeks soon(Maui), and shooting RAW on 8GB Lexar 300x UDMA cards all day in mirror mode(and, being the amateur I am, I bracket a LOT) could get expensive(several cards)

I have never had a CF card issue, but I am also considering that the shots I take each day will have to contain good data for download to a laptop-no chances to go back and get them again in some cases if I have some type of corruption problem.

does anyone out there shoot in CF "mirror" mode for critical outings, or am I just being paranoid?

thanks

Jeff

d810, d750

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: CF configuration-looking for opinions