Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help plz! my lens selection timeframe has accelerated....

Z06_Pilot

Columbus, US
70 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Z06_Pilot Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Dec 2008
Fri 19-Dec-08 10:26 PM | edited Fri 19-Dec-08 10:26 PM by Z06_Pilot

hi folks,

business was good this year and i was selected to go to Maui on a company sponsored trip in early February.

Just got my D3 and my plan was to take the winter to work the camera with the 24-120 lens I got with it, and figure it out. then in the spring decide what glass i would get.

well that has definitely accelerated. i am looking for some advice on a landscape lens. what I have selected so far:

Gitzo 3541XLS
RRS BH-40 or Kirk ballhead

3 Nikkor lenses I have been looking at. I can really only afford 2 right now:

70-200/2.8
24-70/2.8
17-35/2.8

I am thinking i should go for the two wide zooms for this trip and get the 70-200 next year, but then I think. What if we are out on a hike and want to get close to wildlife.....

maybe the 24-70 and the 70-200 instead to cover all my bases, and give myself a decent wide view on the 24-70?

My only concern with getting the 70-200 now is that my primary subjects as an amateur are landscapes and wildlife. i am hoping Nikon comes out with an update to the 80-400. Prior to selling all my Canon stuff, I had a 100-400 that was fantastic for getting close to wildlife with minimal cropping/enlarging. I'd rather not use the 70-200 with a TC to get me closer. I have read both very bad and very good things about the 1.4/1.7/2.0 TC's and this lens...i prefer native focal length.

any help from experienced landscape shooters would be very much apprectiated.

d810, d750

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help plz! my lens selection timeframe has accelerat...

G