Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First extended hiking photo excursion-looking for advice!

Z06_Pilot

Columbus, US
70 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Z06_Pilot Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Dec 2008
Sun 14-Dec-08 08:08 PM | edited Sun 14-Dec-08 08:09 PM by Z06_Pilot

Hi folks,

brand new to Nikon, and i thought, why not start out right, so I got a D3!! I only have the 24-120/3.5 "knock around" lens until I figure out what Nikon will be offering in the new year, when I will make my "serious" glass decisions....

I have signed up for a 7 day photo tour of Southern Utah/Grand Staircase, Capital Reef NP, with Rod Planck, in April.

I have been to this area many times, but never hiking. the tour consists of 2 to 3 hour hikes each day into the back country to the best photographic sites in the area to shoot both wildlife and landscapes. I have never gone on an extended hike/photo excursion before and am looking for advice:

1. tripod or mono? I have an old Bogen, HEAVY, tripod and will be upgrading, probably to a Gitzo carbon fiber with an offset ballhead. I'm wondering if I should opt for the lighter weight/easier to manage mono instead of a tri-pod for this excursion. opinions?

2. I have been thinking about the new Tamrac Adventure series backpacks, with the lower portion for camera gear and the upper portion for a light jacket/water/food...anyone have a great solution for this that works well for you?

thanks very much for sharing your experience!

Jeff
Columbus, OH

d810, d750

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: First extended hiking photo excursion-looking for a...

G