Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Canon 1D stolen...insurance settlement....new Nikon owner!

Z06_Pilot

Columbus, US
70 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Z06_Pilot Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Dec 2008
Sat 06-Dec-08 03:38 AM

hi folks,

I assumed i would just get a 1D MkIII, as I have shot Canon for 30 years(since my first A-1 in junior high school when I was shooting for the annual and school paper...ah the good ole days)

But, the mirror focusing problem that turned into a production issue gave me pause. Then I started looking at the D3..

FF, dual CF cards(working in the IT disaster recovery industry, the idea of having an image recorded to two cards in the camera simultaneously is just too cool for school), very nice exposure tools(the Vivid setting with a "push" is the closest I have seen digital get to Fuji Velvia 50).

So I got a D3. My remaining lenses(other than the one that was on my 1D when it was lifted), are now on ebay.

love the camera and system so far, BUT I have one gripe.....where the heck is the excellent extreme zoom glass for us non-pros? I am missing my Canon 100-400 IS something fierce......I gotta tell you that VR 80-400 is very, very long in the tooth-and it's black There is no realistic replacement for an amateur enthusiast like myself(who wants to use only Nikkor glass) until Nikon decides to upgrade the lens....really dissapointing...

But no system is perfect. i will settle into reading the 450+ page manual and scouring this site to get me up to speed. the capabilities and possibilities of this camera are mind boggling.

looking forward to learning a great deal.

thanks

Jeff

d810, d750

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Canon 1D stolen...insurance settlement....new Nikon...

G