Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3 Determining US Nikon vs. Grey Market

alanortho

Minneapolis, US
660 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
alanortho Registered since 02nd Nov 2006
Thu 14-Aug-08 01:56 PM

I thought someone might find this information helpful. As I am in the market for a used D3 I contacted Nikon, this is their reply:

Dear Alan,

There are a couple ways to confirm you have a US D3:

1. On the side of the box, there should be a bar code with the model # on it, and then a letter in brackets. For example, yours would say: D3 (U). The 'U' indicates that it is a USA camera. If you do not have a (U), then you may have a non-US camera. Since you purchased the camera in the US, that would make it a 'gray market camera'.

2. You should have received a Nikon USA one year warranty card with the camera

3. You should have received an original manual and CD (Not Photocopied)

4. Most Nikon USA serial #'s come with a 7-8 digital serial number that begin with the number '3'.

If you indeed have a gray-market camera, then:

1. Gray Market cameras do not have a US warranty
2. Should anything happen to the camera, gray market cameras will not be repaired by Nikon factory service center (even for a charge).
3. You will not be able to download software/firmware updates via the www.nikonusa.com website

Alan

G