Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Capture: Write settings to camera

JerryL

US
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JerryL Registered since 31st Jan 2007
Sat 05-Apr-08 09:46 AM

Hi all

We shoot a lot of interiors, almost always dealing with very mixed light sources. After locking down the camera for a given shot, we'll shoot a carefully placed grey card, open the NEF in Nikon Capture, and use the marquis tool to grey balance whatever camera we've been using.

On the D2X with Capture Editor 4.x, I was then able to (a) save the settings to disk (on the computer), and then ALSO write those settings out to the camera, after selecting one of the WB presets (e.g. D0, D1, etc.).

Here's the problem. We've upgraded to D3 and the latest version of Capture NX 2.x. The marquis tool works the same, and we save those settings to disk the same as before.

But I cannot find a way to write that grey balance back out to the camera.

This is problematic while on location; we have clients and ADs looking over our shoulder,looking at our calibrated laptop's screen. Without being able to write the grey balance (and then shoot with it), color looks wrong, even though I know that I can fix this when converting to TIFF in post production.

Many times we have the camera locked down, connected to lights and laptop before we're ready to do a grey card. Further the grey card can be far away, so that it's placed correctly relative to all the light sources. In other words, walking the camera up to the grey card so that it fills the viewfinder and then setting the camera balance that way isn't often easy to do. Again - while on location and working with clients.

I really miss the ability to write the settings out to the camera from the laptop, and this has messed up the workflow a bit.

Any suggestions (or is the feature there, but I'm just missing it)?

Many thanks for your help!

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry and Lois Photography
www.jerryandlois.com

G