Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Digital Darrell waxes philosophical...

darrellyoung

881 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
darrellyoung Registered since 21st Apr 2006
Mon 17-Mar-03 02:48 PM

It occurs to me in reading recent comparison threads that a true paradigm shift has occurred in photography. Whereas, before, we could buy a camera and expect to use it for 15 or 20 years, now we are offered cameras with a built-in obsolescence factor of maybe five years tops.

I read the discussion about how the D100 with DX lenses are a "pronea" or more succinctly, a temporary solution. And, in fact, that is a correct statement. But, think about this fact. We live in a market society, which has now become worldwide in scope. When I go buy a car, I don't expect to be able to drive it for 20 years. Styles of the car body change so that within even five years or so, it is obvious to all that you are driving a vehicle that is not a new style vehicle. In other words, you are "not with it." Next on the list is my computer. When I buy a new one, I expect that something better will come along within a couple of years that makes my once powerful computer seem like a mere toy. I soon realize that I "need" a new computer.

As we look toward cameras, something similar is happening. I have a Nikon SLR that is over 20 years old, and still works like a charm. I can still buy 35mm film for it, so it's lifespan seems indefinite. On the other hand, I now own a D100. Can I expect to use it for 20 years...no way? How about 10...nope? 5...maybe? So, what is the real complaint here? Could it be that we camera users are not happy with the new world order? Do we want to continue using our old faithful Nikon cameras for the next quarter of our lives, or are we willing to "get with it" and spend our money for the next gadget camera that appears?

The market society demands that we buy now, and buy again later. Our hearts want the old ways. We want to spend our money on quality cameras that last for years and years. Fortunately, we still have a choice, since we can still buy an F5 and expect to use it for a long, long time.

So now, we have two choices! We can stay with film and use the same camera for a long time, or we can buy a new digital camera and expect to buy another one within a few years. Or...we can do both, if we have the cash. The good thing is that the new cameras provide us with immediate feedback, less operating cost (controversial), the ability to take LOTS of images, and a good feeling because we have the latest cool camera.

Digital photography is going to keep growing and changing, and so, we'd best stop complaining about it. It is here to stay, and our beloved method of using our dependable cameras for many years has gone away. We will be forced by the market to buy a new camera every few years. In fact, just like with our cars and computers, we will be made to feel out of date unless we buy the latest camera out. Nikon has simply been forced to change with the constantly moving world market, in order to stay in existence. Do you blame them? What would YOU do if you were in their place? Could your company survive if it was not doing what all the other companies are doing? Not likely!

Quality is one thing, and making a living is another. Nikon wants to survive, and so they are surviving. Your D1/D100 is a great camera under the new paradigm, and it will be until the D2/D200 comes out, and even for a year or two afterwards.

When our generation is gone, our kids and grandkids will look back at our old F5's and say, "imagine using the same old boring camera for years and years!" It will be the normal way of photography to buy the next semi-disposable digital camera. We are simply seeing that new way coming in upon us, and are disturbed by its implications. But, we are also excited about the new cameras, and their incredible capabilities.

Bottom line......Get used to it! No amount of complaining by we old-timers is going to stop this style of camera buying, any more so than grandpa cussing the newfangled cars scaring his horse. The future is upon us, embrace it or not, it is here!

Subject
ID
Reply message Bingo - superbly stated!
Reply message RE: Digital Darrell waxes philosophical...
Reply message The consumer speaks...
Reply message RE: The consumer speaks...

G