Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
AlwaysLearning

Moscow, US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
AlwaysLearning Registered since 07th Jan 2008
Fri 08-Feb-08 12:52 PM

I could use some advice on some strange images coming off my D3. I went to a local dance studio to sample the lighting for an upcoming shoot. While taking the samples, I noticed some of the shots were perfectly white balanced but then some would go deep orange or yellow. I thought the Auto WB was getting fooled so I turned it off. Same results. Then I started getting some half white/half yellow - almost like the look when your shutter is too fast for your flash - but I'm not shooting flash. The line between yellow and white runs horizontal on landscapes and vertical on portraits so I assume that the shutter is involved but don't understand how or why. I can take the exact same shot within a second of each other and get totally different results.

The studio was lit only by plain flourescent light - no daylight - no flash. The only thing I can think of is that I am somehow using a shutter speed that just happens to be at the right sync rate with the "flutter" of the lights - kind of like the banding you get when you try to use a video camera to film a tv screen. Am I right or is there some other explanation?

I took the shots on a D3 - 70-200 2.8 @ 2.8 - 1/200 - iso 1000

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3 - Banding?