Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Faulty D2X 10-Pin connector

Pursuit

Kirkland, US
2111 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Pursuit Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2003
Wed 23-Jan-08 07:21 PM

My MC-30 remote shutter releases stopped working with my 2 year old D2X. They used to work, and they still do on my 3 year old D2H. But it appears that my D2X's 10-pin connector has failed in some way. There is no apparent damage to it when looking at it from the outside. The camera has never had any abuse. My best guess is that a wire has wiggled loose on the inside. So I sent it off to Nikon's El Segundo service center. They received it on the 16th and finally checked it into their system today (I was getting a little nervous that they had lost it).

$309 to fix a 10-pin connector. I can't really claim to be surprised by the price. But I am a little disappointed that Nikon didn't look at the condition of the camera (which doesn't have so much as a scuff on it anywhere) and deduce that perhaps they had a quality control issue that should be fixed free of charge. In these days of 100K mile auto warranties I find it somewhat surprising that Nikon's top-of-the-line cameras only come with a 1 year warranty.

Oh well, don't buy toys you can't afford to have break.

Jim Kelly
More wag, less bark. (anon)

G