Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Virtual horizon D3 vs spirit level

norf

Sitka, US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
norf Registered since 30th Apr 2007
Sat 12-Jan-08 06:11 AM

My experience with the virtual horizon on my D3 while out shooting today:
I found that with a 17-35 attached to the D3 that there was a 1 to 2 degree error that the D3 was insensitive to. The virtual horizon did not even show a change when I adjusted the level using a hot shoe spirit level. This was on top of a cliff with about a 30 degree forward tilt. I would not call that a sharp angle. It is noted in the manual the "virtual horizon display is not accurate when the camera is tilted at a sharp angle forward or back".
It is grossly accurate if my camera is pointing directly at the horizon...but I don't shoot pictures with the horizon in the middle of the viewfinder. If I want to define the perpendicular from the horizontal I will use a hot shoe spirit level. If I lose my hot shoe spirit level, this Virtual horizon is a gross back up.

G