Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Virtually baseless meanderings and superlatives about t

ricdiggle

Huddersfield, UK
862 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ricdiggle Basic Member
Tue 11-Dec-07 10:59 PM

Hope this is OK?

Seems a good idea to have a thread where we over excited new D3 owners can rant on about how great it is despite only having shot a days worth of images (most of which will be at ISO 6400 just for the hell of it) and not really understanding the autofocus etc etc...

Basically, that initial hit to the senses without any real thought for how it will affect things when we point our lenses at something meaningful and try to make a quality image rather than gasp at ISO performance.

So...

It's a bit bloody tasty!

The LCD:
... is a revelation - it's bright and incredibly detailed - zoom in far enough and you can clearly see the jpeg compression used in the preview file. In the real world, I can't think any of this will be of any importance.

Autofocus:
...seems mind bendingly fast. With the 70-200 on there, it's certainly quicker than my old D2x and probably faster than my D2H too. In dim light, it's miles better and more accurate than I'm used to. Best part of this is that I haven't even looked in the IB yet and have no real idea how it works at all. If I'm getting better AF already, it can really only improve when I read the IB and know what I'm doing.

Very exciting.

AF sensors:
...are tiny which means for close ups, I can focus on the eye ball rather than the eye area as with the D2. From the very few shots I've already made, this is clearly going to be favourite feature of the D3 compared to my old D2's. You can really open the lens up and get focus exactly where you want it.

Brilliant.

Metering:
... is so different I'm shocked. Matrix is just right, all the time it seems. I've taken shots today which I know would have needed 2 or 3 'chimp and adjust' attempts on my D2's before I was happy and they were bang on.

I have noticed that the LCD sometimes shows no blinkies and Capture NX shows blown highlights though but they are mostly insignificant.

Indescribable.

Flash:
...is astonishing to say the least. Nikon's system is awesome and the D3 seems to have it's measure better than my D2's did. I'm sure this is down to the improved matrix metering but of the 200 or so flash shots I've taken tonight (my wife is now blind!), I can honestly say 90% were perfect exposures whether I used my SB-800 or the little SB-400. The ten percent bad ones were mostly me keeping my finger on the shutter release and the camera getting ahead of the flash recycle. I'm amazed no-one has mentioned this before as it's quite some improvement over the already excellent D2's IMHO.

Fantabulous.

Very high ISO performance:
...I'm not so thrilled with. Sure 3200 and 6400+ are a revelation to anyone who's lived with a D2 but I think once I calm down a bit and really look at those images carefully, I'll find them as useless to me as ISO 800 shots from my D2X. For the sports photog, they will change everything but I don't want noisy, smudged prints thanks.

ISO 800-1200 is just phenomenal though. This is where the D3 just leaves the D2's for dead. On my D2X, 400 was almost too high for my taste, on my D2H, 640 is my limit. 1200 on the D3 looks spectacular and 1600 looks useable in a push for biggish prints. Colour and detail are still awesome and noise is very very low. I'm already impressed but I think when the dust settles a bit, I'll find I like this more and more as it literally changes the way you think about each shot you take.

Gobsmacking.

9fps:
...is faster than I'll likely ever need but it's nice to know it's there if I ever do. I'd got very good at taking just one frame with the D2's but several times tonight, I've shot two frames by accident due to the speed of this bad boy. No doubt, it's something I'll get used to anyway.
The shutter seems louder than on my D2H which I find odd as I'm sure I'd read it was quieter somewhere. Maybe it's down to newness and will get quieter as it gets more action under it's belt.

All in all, it's better than expected so far and a very worthwhile purchase. I was hoping for a 12mp D2H and so far at least, it seems I have one. I'm sure when I read the IB and discover what else it can do, I'll be even more thrilled.

Anyway, those are my virtually baseless meanderings and superlatives about the D3 after one day of use. I hope very much to read others' thoughts too.

Richard

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Virtually baseless meanderings and superlatives abo
Reply message RE: Virtually baseless meanderings and superlatives abo...
Reply message RE: Virtually baseless meanderings and superlatives abo...

G