Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
zuman

US
154 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zuman Registered since 04th Jan 2006
Thu 08-Nov-07 03:03 PM

I've never been a smoker, but I imagine that quitting smoking must be like this...
I sold my D2x to help fund a D3, and also because I would not be able to transport two pro bodies on most of my trips into the middle of nowhere. That left me with my tiny Leica C-Lux P&S and my aged Minolta Dimage 7hi digicam, but I've been without an SLR (other than my antique Canon AE1) for about six weeks now.
I tried using the other cameras in ways that maximize their capabilities. You know, street photography with the Leica, and that kind of stuff, but it just feels so forced. I need to feel the click as I rotate my 28-70 f/2.8 onto its welcoming mount (or in the case of my 200-400 f/4, rotate the body while holding the lens still!). I need to move little red dots around in a viewfinder! I want to press a waste can button twice so I can delete something!
So I bought a D40x.
I KNOW it's not a D1, 2, or 3. Heck, I know it's not even a D80. But it will serve as an emergency backup to the D3 and it will fit into almost the same space in my bag as my 10.5mm, for goodness sakes.
My secret plan, however, is to get my wife taking pictures with it. It'll be so easy and seductive, and soon she'll want a new 14-24mm lens, and then she'll want a new 600mm f/4G ED VR, and then... bwahhahaha!!!!
Ok, maybe not. But it'll still be fun to see that tiny little body on my 200-400, and I'm sure I'll be able to take some pictures I want to take this weekend instead of only those my camera wants me to take.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The pain! The pain!
Reply message Whimp