Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3 and Wildlife - one more time...

zuman

US
154 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zuman Registered since 04th Jan 2006
Sun 09-Sep-07 12:27 AM

I had the chance today to speak with nearly a dozen of my zoological colleagues, all of whom have significant wildlife field and photographic experience going back years.
All cut their teeth shooting 35mm film. Nobody had a 600mm lens. And nobody felt deprived by not having one.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen dozens of spectacular shots with 600mm lenses OR 400mm LENSES ON 1.5x CROP BODIES (many from Nikonians), but the great majority of super-tele wildlife shots that stretch the lens' reach to the max seem to be compromises, in lighting, composition, or sharpness. Anyway, until November, just about any Nikon shooting longer than a 200-400 on a 1.5x body pretty much had to be tripod-mounted right? (no VR).
So I'm buying a D3. I'll accept that my 200-400 will only give me 400. But I'll shoot at 400 at dawn and dusk, and I'll get 1/1000th f/22 shots with a lot more keepers because the depth of field will help overcome my poor technique.
I don't shoot many birds, which may be an exception to the above argument, but for megafauna, I think I'll be happy with my decision.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3 and Wildlife - one more time...
Reply message RE: D3 and Wildlife

G