OK I have a question With some of the problems that are inherent with new products that are rushed to market. Take for example the first batch of D200's and the banding Not saying that the new units will have any issues but should we wait for the second batch to come out to see if the first batch has any quality control issues
Wait, the D200 with banding issues was an absolute pain, even though I had my camera changed to another in less than a week. This way you will probably get much better review data on which to choose.
You wouldn't buy a house without a survey or pre-order a car would you. Unless you have hands-on knowledge of the camera I would definitelly hang on. Having said that if Nikon offer a D2 trade up then I probably would move faster.
Definitely wait. No way you should pre-order. If you have, you should cancel it. You should all cancel your pre-orders. Especially you guys that pre-ordered early. Listen to the rumors, cancel now. Definitely ...
------------------- Cool Tagline Needed Apply Within
Looking for the best of both worlds I pre-ordered a D3 but put no money down. After a fruitless discussion with the clerk who insisted I put at least $1,000 down I was handed over to the manager. I explained to him that it is terrible to expect me to tie up $1,000 for probably 4-6 months and even if I reneged, he would still be able to sell the camera to the next on the waiting list. I can still put $10. down for a new Ford Explorer at Jannell Motors and not have to wait nearly as long as for a camera. Some places want the entire amount given when pre-ordering a camera. That's nuts. This put me below folks who did give a down payment with their pre-order. Eventually I'll get one or have time to cancel if something better comes along or if there are problems with the D3. Sorry about the mini-rant but I'm sick and tired of morons wanting me to pay full up-front for something I order. I don't have to do this at restaurants, doctor's offices, bookstores, and most any other type of business I can think of.