Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Travel restrictions define camera choice

zuman

US
154 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zuman Registered since 04th Jan 2006
Thu 30-Aug-07 02:27 PM

Ok, this may be slightly bizarre, but the latest factor to pop up in my decision on whether to buy a D3 is airline travel restrictions.
I fly internationally through Heathrow about three times a year, and we are currently limited to a single carry-on not to exceed 22"x17.5"x9". Weight restrictions seem to be guided by some secret formula, but I've been warned variously to stay under 6kg, 7kg, and 11kg. Kenya Airways has similar restrictions.
My Think Tank Airport Acceleration fits the restrictions, and can hold my D2x, 200-400, 70-200, 28-70, 85 f/1.4, and 10.5, along with charger, Epson P2000, and a couple of teleconverters or other small knicknacks.
My current thought is to swap the D2x for a D300 and add a D3 for high ISO work. I think I can get away with slipping a D300 in a photo vest pocket if I can't squeeze it in the bag. Of course, I'm probably over the secret carry-on weight limit of the week anyway.
Now a bunch of people have suggested that would-be D3 owners should invest in longer glass, but there's no way to add, say, a 600 to the bag, even if I sacrifice the 200-400, which I'm unlikely to do.
Fortunately news out of Heathrow suggests that it is likely that a second carry-on may be allowed this fall.
My two Pelican cases, of course, sit in my attic. Three colleagues have had their checked hard cases disappear forever before reaching the baggage carousel this year.
Aaargh! This is too complicated! All I want is a high ISO camera and DX-type reach!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Travel restrictions define camera choice