Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3 and Wildlife Photography

zuman

US
154 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zuman Registered since 04th Jan 2006
Sun 26-Aug-07 07:32 PM

My primary interest is wildlife photography, and I'm cautiously interested in what the D3 could do for me (I now shoot a D2x). I'm really excited about the high ISO performance, because my 200-400 f/4 is usable earlier and later in the day, and my f/2.8 lenses can give me a more forgiving depth of field for focusing during the shoulder hours.
But please help me think this through: when I can't get close enough to a subject and have to crop the image, will I be worse off with a D3 because of the lower photosite density? Or will the larger sensor allow me to enlarge more because it starts off one-third larger?
Also, a lot of my photography is in Africa in dusty conditions. I know that the Canon 5D has a reputation for sensor dust problems. Is this something inherent in larger sensors?
Thanks.
http://www.pbase.com/zuman

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3 and Wildlife Photography
     Reply message It All Depends
          Reply message RE: It All Depends
          Reply message RE: It All Depends