Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
timp763

Marin County, US
280 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
timp763 Basic Member
Fri 29-Jun-07 06:17 PM

Am I the only person to have ever shot with film or autofocus? I keep hearing about the end of the Nikon world because its iso 3200 is unusable, how autofocus detects eyeballs but not the eyelashes, blah, blah, blah. I managed to spends a couple decades shooting Velvia at iso 50, and later 100, Ektachrome at 100 and ocassionally 200, and in rare instances shoot some 400 stuff (but rarely liked the results). Almost all of my shooting was manual focus - you know that is why they make viewfinders? Now granted I don't make my living off of shooting but I've seen millions of high quality images, magazines, books, etc. that were shot using similar equipment. I understand that better equipment can offer an edge over a competitor but is everyone here a professional wedding or sports shooter that is losing business directly because of their equipment? Has anyone actually thought that maybe they aren't as good a photographer or business person as the next guy? Or that maybe soccer mom and her D80 is cutting into your profits? Does everyone NEED iso 3200, 6400, 9600, 15 stops of dynamic range, or a satellite dish attached to their camera? Have you been divorced because Nikon doesn't call you at home to tell you what they are developing long range or when they are releasing the D4xls? Why all the stress here about the D2x sucking so badly and Canon ruling the universe? If you're answering yes to my silly questions maybe you should quietly think about your profession, or your business model, or maybe drink less coffee, or keep switching back and forth between platforms, or win the lottery so you can buy everything offered by Canon and Nikon and have the best most profitable shooting business in the world. Me, I'm going to keep taking pictures of some of the most spectacular reptiles and amphibians found in great locations and have a good time.

Tim

"Why frogs?"
Take a look around you and tell me why not

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: the doom of Nikon?