Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wish for Nikon Corp.

Lars Troels

Viborg, DK
137 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Lars Troels Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and eZine Registered since 16th Jan 2004
Sun 18-Feb-07 10:56 AM

The topmodel Nikon D2X is doing quite fine, and have set new standards in the market for professional D-SLR's.

The resolution from the CMOS sensor at 12,4 MP is very good and enough for almost any assignment. To wish for more resolution is irellevant IMO.

The Highspeed Crop with 8 f.p.s. makes the camera very allround, and it can be used for almost anything from studio to press and sports.

Flashsystem and batterytechnology is exellent.

The autofocussystem is very very good and again and again considered the best on the marked in low light situations.

Some nature photographers argue that more focuspoints like Canon 1D's 45 points would be nice for following small bird in flight. For sportsphotography, were I use the camera a lot, the players are relatively big in the frame, and I use only a group of focuspoints around the middle of the finder, so I see no problem here. I think the autofocussystem i fantastic, and certainly competitive to Canon.

The area that should be focussed on:

What I say now is not because I have forgotten how it was to shoot with filmcameras. Then you could really talk about grain and noise. But that does not meen that you can't have higher ambitions with todays technology.

D2X is doing quite well, but never the less, I wish for a new model with even less noise at HighIso. Every week I deliver photos taken at 1600 iso. The clients are very satisfied with the results. But it is hard to expose the shots, so that you can avoid to much noise. THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT.

It is quite understandable, that with a 1,5x sensor the pixels get very small, and that it causes you problems. Nikon D2Hs, Canon 5D and 1D-mrkII has with their bigger pixels no problems. Only the Nikon D2Hs is not competitive with its 4MP resolution for my type of work.

I really wish for a new Nikon procamera with f.ex. 1,2x to 1,5x sensor with a min. 8-10MP sensor and min. 8 f.p.s. It must have almost noisefree results at 1600 iso, and usable 3200 iso. It could also be a fullframe sensor with Highspeed Crop, so that you could switch from 1,0x to 1,5x. All funtionality should otherwise be like D2X.

And of course the price should not be much higher than 4.000$.

Lenses:

The current programme of lenses is nothing less than exellent IMO. Most professional photographers should be satisfied. Except from VR in 400/2,8 and 500/4 there is nothing to wish for. VR in supertele is not something I long for personally, but just to tie the loose ends.

But a new competitive pro camerahouse would really make a difference for many of us.

Have a nice day.

Lars T.
www.larstroels.dk

G