Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

WT-2A with D2Xs: undocumented limitations

drmike1

Louisville, US
150 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
drmike1 Registered since 22nd Nov 2006
Fri 24-Nov-06 12:30 AM

I photograph historical artifacts in a studio setting, and need to make certain that I have crisp, perfectly lit shots before the fragile items go back to the archives. Seeing my images on a full size computer screen is extremely helpful. Adding a WT-2A to my D2Xs seemed preferable to continuing to pop out the CF card every few shots, or being tied down to a cable. I now have a satisfactory wireless setup, but I discovered a few undocumented limitations along the way that might be of interest to other Nikonians:

1) Nikon Capture 4.x does not support the D2Xs with WT-2A (although it does support the D2X). This fact is not mentioned in the latest downloadable manuals on the Nikon USA website, but Nikon tech support will confirm it. Nikon Camera Control Pro is mandatory for camera control functionality on the D2Xs. Pixagent ITP 2.0 can also be used to support communication from the D2Xs/WT-2A to the computer's WI-FI card, but that program does not support the camera control functions.

2) Ad-hoc networking, which involves direct wireless transmission from the WT-2A to the computer, sounds like it should be fast and efficient. It should be particularly good in the field, far from a wireless router infrastructure. It is not. Ad-hoc networking operates on the 802.11b protocol at a slow 11 Mbt/s, despite the fact that the WT-2A and most computers operate at 802.11g at 54 Mbt/s. This seems to be Windows limitation, but it is not mentioned in the Nikon manuals. Previous Nikonian posts mentioned the use of a pocket router, attached to the computer's USB port, as a work-around to regain 802.11g speed.

3) Software, such as Odyssey Client, which many organizations require to manage their users' wireless connectivity, can interfere with WT-2A connectivity. Fortunately, most of the support personnel at Nikon USA tech support (New York during the day, Canada at night), are really knowledgeable, helpful, & committed to getting the WT-2A user up and running. They are not reluctant to spend an hour on the phone to try various settings until one works. Thanks guys!

Once I got the setup working, and had the opportunity to (almost) instantly inspect my work on a high resolution screen, I was pleased to be using the D2Xs' full potential. And, I felt a little less guilty about leaving my trusty Nikon film cameras (FTn through F5) on the shelf.

Dr. Mike
Nikonian in Kentucky

DrMike1

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: WT-2A with D2Xs: undocumented limitations
Reply message Correction...Lightroom is from Adobe...
               Reply message You need to review ITP 2.0 vs. ITP 2.0 Pro....
                    Reply message RE: You need to review ITP 2.0 vs. ITP 2.0 Pro....
                         Reply message Adobe LightRoom is the official name Mike...

G