Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sharp and soft in one image plane

_Bill_

Hiawassee, US
23 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
_Bill_ Registered since 31st Dec 2002
Wed 16-Jan-08 01:01 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful comments to the many questions posed on this site. I have learned a great deal about my D100, and photography in general.

I recently purchased a D100 and have found several images where the pic is sharp in the upper third and soft in the lower third when shot horizontally and sharp on the left while soft on the right when shot vertically. I'm using a Tokina 28-80 ATX Pro lens. Has anyone seen this type of problem before? I've wondered if maybe the CCD is slanted a bit, the lens is defective, or maybe the photographer is not quite right;)! I've followed the many good suggestions about shooting only RAW, using no sharpening except in Capture or PS, etc.... In fact, when the images are sharpened, the sharp areas get too sharp while the soft areas look great. I am going to try to attach two of the images where this problem is seen - notice my daughter at the lower part of the image compared to my son at the upper part, and in the other image my son's right shoulder sleeve compared to his face.

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Bill Moody
Abingdon, VA

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sharp and soft in one image plane

G