Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Allinthemind

UK
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Allinthemind Registered since 26th Apr 2006
Thu 26-Oct-06 01:40 PM

Hi Folks,

I've had the D2X for about 9 months now. I normally shoot people stuff on location and in manual mode. I was with a colleague a few days ago (Canon 1Ds user II), I noticed he was using "P" mode all day with results that looked good to me. I've been experimenting today with the various auto-exposure modes.

I find that in sunlight:

Matrix meter tends to overexpose 2/3rds

In shade:

Overexposes about 1/2 (I've been playing with the exposure adjustment setting)

Generally, I've heard that the D2x will try and hold the highlights by underexposing a bit, this wasn't my experience. I tried 2 diffwerent lenses and a few different apertures. Has anyone else had this? It's not a problem as I shoot manually (spot meter) pretty well all the time but fast changing light may necessitate a flick across to one of the auto modes.

So, a little inconsistent for a matrix meter that's supposed to understand colour and has over a 1000 sensor points.

The exposure compensation on the camera is set to zero and the menu adjustment (permanent) has been dialled down 0.5 stops, this normally keeps the exposure within a stop of what I would choose manually.

I didn't try and fool the camera, I was going for fairly evenly lit scenes, lots of grass, red brick or pavement in them.

Could I have missed something? Does anyone else share this experience?

All best

Si

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D2X Matrix meter

G