Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Radical shift in exposure controls with ISO feature

jonkhill

Seoul
199 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jonkhill Basic Member
Tue 12-Nov-02 02:48 AM

I just responded to a question about "pushing" a DSLR in the Wildlife forum and thought it might start an interesting thread here.

I find that the controls I use from shot to shot are quite different on a DSLR compared to on a film camera. This is due to the flexibilty of the "ISO" control. In the past, the ISO was set at the start of a roll and remained fixed through to the end. So my thinking regarding exposure revolved around the basic two controls: shutter speed and aperture. Now though, ISO is a third basic control for me. Before I was just making compromises on depth of field and action-stopping ability from shot to shot. Now I get to make compromises on noise as well, often allowing me to be more flexible in my choices for shutter speed and aperture.

Is anyone else out there revelling in this new freedom? Has use of a DSLR changed your shooting in other ways?

-Jon

-j°n
www.safarishots.com
www.jonkhill.com

G