Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The D200 is not a D2 Series camera...

rutherfordphoto

Vancouver, CA
5099 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002
Sun 05-Feb-06 04:36 AM

For those of you looking for reasons to keep your D2 series cameras, here are a few of my thoughts.

I just recently came back from an assignment where I used the D200 as my only camera. After using the camera for 6 weeks, (10 days and 1200 shots on assignmnet) and in some tough conditions, I think it is a good camera, but no D2 series.

1) The viewfinder is still not as big, or as bright, nor is it 100%. The 100% thing can be crucial if vital composition is required. The eyepoint is much lower, especially for those of us required to wear glasses 24/7.

2) The AF with non-AF-S lenses is much slower, in terms of driving the lens. With AF-S lenses, no discernable difference.

3) The battery life on the D2HS, and D2X, far exceed that of the D200. I found myself charging the battery 4 times over 1200 shots (on assignment). I had a spare, but found I was much more battery level conscious than I ever was with the D2H or D2X. I know battery life improves, but 2-300 shots is still unacceptable.

4) The MSC AF switch on the front of the camera kept slipping to M, a problem I have never had with any previous Nikon camera. F100, F6, any of my D1-D2X cameras. It became a real pain, a few missed shots, and another thing of which I should not have to been aware.

5) The ability to lock shutter speeds and aperture is something to which I have become very accustomed. I miss that feature on the D200.

Notes to ponder: I never discovered any banding, high ISO including 1600 are very clean, although not better than D2HS. Low light AF with AF-S lenses is very good, even with AF Assist turned off. The size and weight is great, although not worth the above mentioned problems. I am not knocking the camera, but for those with demanding needs, I hope you find this worth a look.

I will be selling mine in the near future, and sticking with the D2HS, and D2X.

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The D200 is not a D2 Series camera...

G