Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best colour calibration device for a manged workflow?

desdrury

Portsmouth, UK
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
desdrury Registered since 02nd Sep 2002
Fri 08-Nov-02 06:40 AM

Since buying my D100 I have had major problems with colour management. Previously I had a Sony F707 and I was generally very happy with the printout's that I got from it. This is not a critiscm of the D100 though, it is just that now I am using Adobe RGB rather than sRGB and as such am having to deal with colourspace issues that had not even crossed my mind before, which in turn has made me much more sensitive to the colour I see on screen and on a print.

After lots of reading of forum messages and tutorials, plus plenty of wasted paper and inks, I feel that I am starting to get a handle on this complex problem. However I still have lots of questions.

The setup seems to be affected by so many variables that it is difficult to figure out the best way to move forward. I have already decided to purchase a hardware colour calibration device but am unsure of which one to go for as it is a lot of money and I don't want to find out after the fact that I could have got a better solution or, worse still, that what I purchase does not do all the things that I need.

I'm hoping that you guys will be able to help me out here, so I have a number of questions I would be really grateful to receive answers to.

Anyway, here goes with my list of questions.

1. The light source for the viewing of prints and looking at the monitor seems to be of vital importance. What do you recommend? I have a desk and I am thinking of having a lamp, which illuminates down onto the desk. Is there a particular type of lamp I should use? Also, for the main light in my office, what is recommended? And will the fact that I am using two lights cause me to see colour shifts?

2. For cost reasons I am thinking of purchasing either the Monaco Systems MonacoEZcolor 2.5 Bundle or the ColorVision Spyder PhotoSuite Pro. Any opinions on these would be great.

3. What I am looking for is a solution that will enable me to see on screen what a print from an Epson 1290 will look like. For this I obviously need to profile the monitor, but do I also need to profile the printer? I have downloaded the ICC profiles for my printer but am unsure of how good they are. Some people say they are excellent, others say they are not so good. Is there a good solution that allows me to profile the paper/ink I am using? I don't want to use an online service as they are so expensive.

I realise thats quite a few questions but I am really struggling as I don't want to spend a lot of money on a product I will be unhappy with.

Thanks for your help

G