Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB-80DX Slave Flash Scenarios using the D100 - Question

benherrmann

Fuquay Varina, US
563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002
Thu 24-Oct-02 10:15 PM

Well, I'm exposing one of my most severe photographic weaknesses here and that is within the realm of flash. No major problems with using TTL flash with my F5 and F100, but now that I've invested in the D100...wow, have I got questions.

I wanted to be able to use my two SB-80DX flash units in a slave type of arrangement - using my SB-50DX as the on-camera unit on my D100. I invested in all of the goodies - 2 SB-80DX's, an SB-50 DX, a Quantum Turbo battery and all of the necessary adapter cords for that battery unit. Then I heard that using the SB-80DX's with the D100 will not function correctly in a slave arrangement because of the preflash that prematurely sets off the slave units. So I then go out and buy two Nikon SU-4 slave adapter units. Now I come to find out that because that preflash is emitted when using the D100, the slave units will fire prematurely regardless. I'm about ready to give up on the flash end with the D100.

I desire to use my slave units in portrait type of scenarios or indoor scenarios where I have to balance out the fill flash...let's say, covering a room or so.

What I am doing wrong? Is there a way for me to effectively take automatic TTL flashes using this arrangement? At first I was told the SB-80's are designed to work as a slave without using an adapter. Then I was told that the SB-80's don't quite function well in a slave arrangement with the D100 because of the preflash situation.

Can anyone shed light on this arrangement - in simple laymen's terms? The bottom line is how can I use automatic TTL slave flash with the SB-80's and the D100 without resorting to a myriad of manual calculations - which I'd hate to have to do.

There...I got that off my chest. I'm willing to accept sarcasms here also, as long as I can learn by the reply threads.

Thanking you in advance...

Ben Herrmann

Good Shooting...

Ben

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SB-80DX Slave Flash Scenarios using the D100 - Ques