Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Trying to choose my first lens for a new D100

linco

Vancouver, CA
35 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
linco Registered since 17th Oct 2002
Fri 18-Oct-02 03:33 PM

I am trying to decide on which lens to get with my new D100. Like a lot of other people, I really can't afford top of the line glass yet so I am looking for a good quality all-around lens to keep me going for awhile. (I am moving over from a Nikon CP5000 so this is a big jump) I shoot a lot of landscapes and lately, some macro work. I've been asking on several newsgroups, etc., and reading all the threads I can find on the subject and I am still confused/stumped. Here is where I am at so far:

50mm 1.8 AF/D the price is so good on this one that I will buy it no matter what

Where I need to make a choice(and am looking for advice):

Nikor 24-85 -very popular on several threads but some people seem to favour the next one:

Nikor 28-105 -very popular on another thread which seems to be more film-oriented. I've heard that it is really slow? Not sure I would notice that as my CP5000 is slow.

Nikor 35-105 -suggested by an Instructor but I can't find much info. How would it be with a D100?

Tamron 24-135 -very popular on another newsgroup but how compatable is it with the D100?

Part of the problem is I really don't understand the pros and cons of each lens in conjunction with the D100. I understand that G lenses do not have an aperture ring but is lack of Auto focus on others really a big issue?

Any one who is willing to weigh in on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Lin

Photo Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/linm

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Trying to choose my first lens for a new D100