Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Night Football Exposure w/D1X

VidCam

US
52 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
VidCam Registered since 10th Jul 2002
Fri 18-Oct-02 08:05 AM

Normally, the best shutter speed for football action is at least a 500th. Night football with pushing film used to be at 250th at 2.8 for us. Experimenting with my D1X set at priority 250th and ISO 800 I kept changing my +/- exposure as the evening got darker. Partially dark at the beginning of the game I was at 800 ISO, 250th with no + on the exposure. At full darkness and the field lights on of course, I ended up at + 3.0. Depending on the particular field lights the +/- will of course be different. If shooting from the end zone where lighting is not always the best for available light, a flash fill is needed. I've been using my 80-200 f2.8 lens with center focus while on a mono-pod. After dodging some shadowed areas in faces etc. my final images looked good. A question I have, is this change in the +/- exposure value the only manual way to increase the ISO on the 800 ISO D1X? Are these increments of + 1.0 in fact doubling the ISO and so forth. Personally, I wouldn't think it is that extreme being in my case I would have been actually shooting at ISO 6400 with a + 3.0 exposure value. When I first purchased my D1X, I was told there is a manual setting for increasing the 800 ISO max to a higher ISO.????
Syl Z.

G