Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Hi-ISO/Firmware upgrade

DrJay32

Colorado Springs, US
3377 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003
Wed 09-Nov-05 02:10 PM

I've seen this mentioned in a few places, but I can't find anything conclusive regarding the apparent "improved HI-ISO performance" after the D2 firmware upgrade.

Since this isn't mentioned in the release notes, I'm curious as to what you all are seeing.

For me, I rarely go above ISO800, but it just so happened that I was fooling around over last weekend with Hi-2 as a way of getting grain in images destined for B&W conversion.

So I took some more shots this morning after the upgrade to see if I could notice anything.

Well, I couldn't see anything OBVIOUS, but then I opened a Hi-2 file in Nikon capture.
I usually have NR set to "normal" in the camera, but shoot RAW.
My Hi-2 shots from last weekend, when opened, get a NR setting of: Amount 25, sharpness: 6.

Since the upgrade, however, I find that NC is now applying Amount: 50, sharpness: 6.

I'm guessing the metadata tags are different in the new firmware.

Any thoughts?

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
www.luminescentphoto.com

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, Moving to Lightroom: Image Processing and Workflow

www.luminescentphoto.com

G